Sunday, February 9, 2014

Tim Burton's James and the Giant Peach

I think filmmakers and many artists have some kind of fantasy for New York City.

There's the Big Apple, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State building... I felt so excited when the boy finally got there! Ah how I miss the city. :) I need to visit it soon.

Certain things I noticed that I loved about the story line -

1. Main character wants to go somewhere big and has fantasies of it (dreamland, la-la land, the emerald city... you name it)
2. In his imagination, he meets awesome bug friends! (which later we find out they become real!)
3. The journey and overcoming the fear. The Rhino is the imagery of fear in this film - I wonder why Rhino though? I always have a fond memory probably because of Disney's Fantasia and its depiction of dancing rhino in a pink, flowery ballet costume. (one of my favorites)
4. James finally reaches the city, but his friends are all gone... :(' or so it seems - when the evil aunts are about to attack him, the righteous New Yorkers and the NYPD officer help him (I hope they were as nice in real life :P ) and the friends fall from the sky, joining James on the city life.
5. Party people! Peach gallore, everyone tastes the peach and the gang settles in the peach seed house in the great lawn. The bug friends have successful careers as models, club manager, violinist, restaurant and such... now James, he greets visitors (mostly children) and narrates his story of adventure and makes so many friends!

Never knew I love happy endings so much :) The fond memories will linger on my mind for a while...


No comments:

Post a Comment